20 September 2007

I think I have finally found the hands-down UGLIEST article of clothing ever in the world. Allow me to present to you....bikini jeans!

Yeah. I don't think I need to say much more, except that if you go the link, you will see a picture of a very unfortunate woman wearing these in white.

While still reeling from those, I saw the most frivolous lawsuit ever: Nebraska state senator Ernie Chambers (D) is suing God. Now, I'm sure many of you are saying, "It's about damn time! Who does that God fellow think he is, anyway?" The rest may be wondering why Sen. Chambers, once called "the angriest black man in Nebraska," would undertake such a grand gesture. Well, he's sick of everything, that's why!

The lawsuit accuses God “of making and continuing to make terroristic threats of grave harm to innumerable persons, including constituents of Plaintiff who Plaintiff has the duty to represent.” It says God has caused “fearsome floods, egregious earthquakes, horrendous hurricanes, terrifying tornadoes, pestilential plagues, ferocious famines, devastating droughts, genocidal wars, birth defects and the like.” (It's a shame he had to stick in genocidal wars and birth defects. I was enjoying the alliteration!) The suit also claims God has caused “calamitous catastrophes resulting in the wide-spread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth’s inhabitants including innocent babes, infants, children, the aged and infirm without mercy or distinction.” Chambers also says that God “has manifested neither compassion nor remorse, proclaiming that [the] defendant will laugh” when catastrophe strikes.

And yesterday was a very long day, even though I didn't have to go to work. A's grandfather passed on Saturday, and the funeral was yesterday. I did not know her grandfather (affectionately called "Dandy") very well, but when I finally drove home alone after the actual service, graveside service, and obligatory (huge) meal at the church, I felt distinctly sad at the passing of someone so wonderful. [cliché alert] He meant so much to (seemingly) everyone he had cause to know, and almost every memory recounted that day involved him giving or doing for someone, no matter the situation. I know that I can be empathetic to a fault,* but Dandy's funeral was one of the saddest I have ever attended, and I was glad to have been there to discover more about a very good man. I love you, A.

*Empathetic to a fault: last night D and I went to dinner and a movie. He had been talking about how he loved the new Halloween movie because it gave a much more psychological view of Michael Myers and his descent into madness than the usual slasher flick. So I thought, why not? Well, I'm not sure if it's because I'm preggers or what, but that movie almost made me ralph. I made it to the gunshot scene (shortly after the fork scene) and then had to leave the theatre. I suppose that now I know that I cannot watch someone being bludgeoned to death without becoming horrified and tossing my cookies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I won't be seeing that movie anytime soon. What's update on the newbie MIller? Give A a hug for me -Jess