12 October 2007

Why does J.Crew suck, you ask? Well, allow me to show you:


The Kerin Dress - $450



Crocodile Ballet Flats - $495




Printed Calf-Hair Sofia Clutch - $350


Distressed-Leather Jacket (for the under 10 set) - $350



Ski-Print Merino Cardigan (again, for those aged 2 to 10) - $78

Who buys a $350 coat for a toddler? Or a frigging merino wool sweater (hand wash only, folks) for someone who makes a habit of getting messy and wadding things up? Does anyone remember the days of J.Crew when things were only slightly out of our price range? For instance, if you saw a spiffy chunky turtleneck sweater, you hoped it would be $50, but it turned out to be $78? Where is all this luxury coming from? And why? I used to look forward to J.Crew's winter catalogue, but now, I find myself disgusted. The impracticality of almost everything they sell is astonishing. I used to be able to get really substantial sweaters and shoes for twenty bucks when their clearance catalogues would come out. (an old boyfrind and I used to have matching rubber boots! how cool is that?) I guess those days are long gone.

No comments: