11 October 2007

As though women don't feel guilty enough about leaving their children at daycare: A 16-month old girl was left asleep in a high chair for two hours after her daycare center had closed and locked up for the night. He mother was able to see her through a window and would up calling 911. Firefighters had to break the door down. The kid was ultimately ok, but JEEZ. I guess that will teach mom not to be late again! The really sad part of this is that, despite the ridiculous lack of responsibility on the part of the daycare, at least one mother is still going to take her child there. Does she enjoy playing roulette with what neglect her kid will endure from day to day? Nope - she just doesn't have anywhere alse to go for childcare. (don't even get me started on what crap that is.)

So I have a friend. (woo hoo! go me!) And this particular friend is a huge fan of home birth; she's a licensed doula, and has tried valiantly to give birth in a kiddy pool in her living room. (there were complications and the midwife made her go to the hospital - c-section) And having a discussion with her about home birth can definitely highlight the perks of participating in such an event. Hey, there have even been nights when I threw my reasoning out the window and actually considered where in my house would be the best place. (fyi: I don't want to clean that shit up anywhere in my house.)

But I read a post today over at Strollerderby. It references an article at Daily Mail about the pros and cons of home births. And I think I have to count myself among the women who will never EVER give birth anywhere but in a hospital. To quote the Strollerderby author (which pretty much sums up my opinion on the whole thing): "I did not have a beautiful, comfortable, meaningful labor. Was that because I was at the hospital? No, it was because my labor hurt like an unholy motherf*cker." Amen to that.

No comments: