31 August 2007

movin' and groovin'

I hate change. Yeah, I may claim to enjoy a dramatic life change, or express a desire to just up and leave one day, bound for Tokyo, but it just isn't in me. I like my house too much, my comfy bed, and my books. However, all bets are off when it comes to changing the interior of my living space. D cannot stand how, around each season change, I suddenly have the desire to rearrange the furniture, "edit" the rooms, or add something spiffy. Well, this season change "makeover" was a doozie. Here is a poorly-drawn representation of the layout of our house. Now picture it with our bedroom where the dining room is. I picked up some old doors at a yard sale last year (two years ago?) and they are going on the two entrances to the old dining room.
Now, this may not look like much, but it involved a crapload of moving (large) furniture. Not only did the china cabinet have to make its way down the hallway and into the study, but our gi-normous bed frame, box spring, and unweilding matress had to come downstairs, with lots of tricky corners. We had our first night in the new room last night, and it was strange to have the ceiling so far away (upstairs the ceilings are vaulted).

But now, our room is so cool! It's orange! And bright! and there is room to move! In a word, awesome. It isn't cleaned up yet, but we're working on it. And last night, D and I installed a ceiling fan all by ourselves. I must admit, I thought I was going to have to slug him a few times (doing that whole macho-I can-do-it-because-I'm-a-man thing) but in the end, it turned out well. (He did, however, pull a butt muscle. Karma ain't pretty.)
And voilĂ : the photos. (Oh yeah, and I replaced two light fixtures ALONE yesterday, too. My stepmother gave me the confidence to go ahead and do it, regardless of knowing nothing about electricity.)


No comments: