17 August 2007

Summer = suck

Jesus christ, it's HOT. The temperature yesterday got up to 103, and it felt like 110. I don't know about you, but being in a sauna all day does nothing for my complexion (bright red just isn't in this season) nor for my...aroma, if you will. In short, I'm red, sweaty, and stinky. And that is just walking from my office to the car! I know I've mentioned my inherited trait that I absolutely despise during warmer months, and believe you me, it's in full swing right now. Oy. And I know you were just dying to know all that.

So in an effort to cool myself down through the power of positive thinking, I've been dreaming of Sweden. In Stockholm, the average temperature for this month is around 70. SEVENTY DEGREES. Have you any idea how amazingly good that would feel? I could probably wear a shirt that covered my arms in that weather. And maybe I could wear jeans without having them stick to my butt & thighs. Anyway, enough about temperatures. I found an online course that will teach you basic Swedish grammar and a very limited vocabulary for free! So I've been learning how to say things like

Det är ett äpple. - It is an apple.

Vem är pojken? - Who is the boy?
Bor du i Stockholm? - Do you live in Stockholm?

The only problem is pronunciation. My knowledge of how Swedish sounds extends just to the Swedish Chef of Muppets fame.
And what with all the "Fall Preview" catalogs coming in the mail, I'm really longing for sweater weather. (which makes all this hot-as-balls weather really obnoxious) At the Land's End website, you can make a virtual model of yourself and "try on" clothes. Here's my (very, very kind - I may have fibbed a bit on certain measurements) model, wearing something warm and toasty. (incidentally, you cannot try on shoes - so you'll have to fill in the slippers.) And yeah, if you want to get down to it, my hair isn't black, but the brown looked all wrong.
I will leave you with beautiful images of snow, cold-weather amusements, and bulky sweaters. May all your dreams be frozen.

No comments: