18 January 2008


It's for kids, see? The co-founder of Wham-O, (and co-creator of the hula hoop and the frisbee), Richard Knerr died Monday at the age of 82.
And I am officially a pregnant woman. For breakfast this morning, I had toast with butter and jam, and then, filling an inexplicable craving, I ate more toast with gorgonzola spread. Now I am burping blue cheese. Mmmm.
Has anyone seen Juno? D and I saw it on Tuesday and I absolutely loved it. There's been some talk in the blogosphere (can't believe I actually used that word) about the film's glamourization of pregnancy (big fat HA on that one) and its dismissal of the "smushmortion" option. I went into the viewing with these two issues front and center in my mind, along with a slight loathing of Diablo Cody, the writer of the film. (she changed her name to Diablo. It reeks of...I don't know what. It's annoying, case closed.) First, the smushmortion as a non-viable option: well, the movie is about a pregnant teen. Ending that pregnancy in the first 20 minutes of the movie kind of kills the plot. And there's no part where Juno decries abortion - she even goes to the clinic, confident in her decision to procure a "hasty abortion." But when she arrives, she exercises her choice and leaves. And really, isn't that what the debate is about? A woman's choice? Anyway, as far as the glamourization goes, I personally don't find being pregnant glamourous in any way shape or form, so I have a bit of trouble with this one. One does have to admire Juno for making the best out of a sticky situation; she continues to go to school and toughs it out for the duration of her pregnancy. She endures ridicule, getting the hairy eyeball from all of her classmates, but the character is very strong emotionally. She is confident in her ability to get through this, and she has the support of family and two good friends to help her. So I suppose that if glamourization = not letting your life fall apart, then yes, the film does glamourize teen pregnancy. One could also see it as a form of grinnng and bearing it, and making do with what you have.
That's my two cents. Go see the movie.

1 comment:

Christopher Ashworth said...

It also doesn't hurt that this movie exhibits the single best usage--indeed the most superb example that ever was, or ever will be--of the Thundercats call.