06 June 2007

I would like to vent my frustration for a moment about driving. Of course, I am the perfect driver. (HA.) No, I realize that I have done and continue to do things that are dangerous and/or a hazard to others while driving, but I have never
(a) almost hit someone while parking;
(b) sped through a parking lot when there were several pedestrians about; or
(c) inexplicably stopped in the middle of the road to let another driver into traffic, but in so doing, creating mass confusion because there was absolutely no reason to stop the car.

In reference to (a), I was the "someone," the car was a huge beige monstrosity (not an SUV - a luxury sedan) and the driver was...old. As soon as I dodged the beige monstrosity (which ended up in the parking space like this, not once taking notice of me) I looked both ways and stepped into the parking lot lane (row? whatever you want to call it - where you drive in a parking lot) Suddenly, speeding around the corner, a navy blue monstrosity with a shorter old person behind the wheel was barrelling toward me. She slammed on the brakes and I was able to run to the safety of my car. However, upon exiting the parking lot, I had to turn left. There was no light, and the turn is notoriously difficult. I hate turning left, and I always have to psych myself up for this one, fully preparing myself for the worst (having to live in the parking lot for the rest of my life) so it confused the hell out of me when this minivan (driver: old) stops short in the middle of the road and looks at me. Then she gets all frustrated and starts waving her hands, apparently signaling me to go. I thought I had pulled out too far, and was perhaps blocking a lane. Nope. She was just being "nice."

No comments: