20 February 2008

All right, kids! I have opinions, and I'm going to share them with you.
First, there's a commercial out right now that I absolutely adore. It's for Tylenol (that I hate), but it is beautifully done. Part of what I like about it is that the people in it are not retouched. We see them, wrinkles, rolls and all, and they are all amazing. (ok, so after searching a bit, I can't actually find it. But if you watch tv at all, I'm sure you'll see it soon.)
Second, the soundtrack to Juno completely rocks my world right now. A, you have a copy coming already.
Third (and finally), D got me a book for Valentine's Day that is so spiffy, I feel compelled to share parts of it with you right now. It's called Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous & Obscure, edited by Smith Magazine. Inspired by (my beloved) Ernest Hemingway's response to a challenge that he couldn't write a complete story in six words, ("For sale: baby shoes, never worn.") the book asked all sorts of people what their six-word memoir would look like. And the book is truly addictive. I finished it in about a half hour, because I could not put it down. I've already dog-eared (the horror!) pages with my favorites. I will now proceed to (a) loan and/or give a new copy of the book to all my friends and realtives who would appreciate such a thing, and (b) reproduce my favorites here.

And he nerded as never before. - Jon Thysell
I wrote it all down somewhere. - Ben Greenman
Verbal hemophilia. Why can't I clot? - Scott Mebus
Artsy married Fartsy, has two kids. - Mary Organ
No shit I'm critical - you're flawed. - Elizabeth Koch
Boys liked her. She preferred books. - Annelise Cuttle
Beat death thrice. Still not religious. - Shan Palmer
Without me, it is just aweso. - Chris Madigan
Hope my obituary spells "debonair" correctly. - Gregg Easterbrook
Underachieving...but willing to overcompensate halfheartedly. - Frank J. Lepaine
Where the hell are my keys? - Brady Udall
Well, I thought it was funny. - Stephen Colbert
Put whole self in, shook about. - Melissa Delzio
God who? Oh, him. No thanks. - Carin Rhoden
Cheese is the essence of life. - Mary Lynch
Maybe you had to be there. - Roy Blount, Jr.
Surname rhymes with profanity. Childhood torture. - Noah Smit

And just a little aside...Obama is leading! w00t.

No comments: